Thursday, June 20, 2013

Going to the dogs

I’m rabid these days, absolutely frothing at the mouth at the slack-arsed response by Torres Shire Council to the long-term dog problem on Thursday Island.
     Here's a mini history lesson.  
     I complained to Torres Shire Council (TSC) from mid- 2010 for eighteen months about roaming dogs that chased me while running or cycling, attacked or mauled my dogs and chased and nipped my kids.  TSC did nothing.  In 2010, the then CEO was bitten by one of the dogs I’d complained about.  I was certain TSC would start to enforce local animal management laws, not realising I was barking up the wrong tree.
    No such luck.  It wasn't long before I was feeling as sick as a dog over this issue.
    In mid-2011 tried to find a copy of these local laws, but they weren’t on the TSC website.  The relevant director sent me a link to the elusive laws.  They really did exist!
     I pursued this matter with dogged determination for two reasons.  One, safety; mine, my kids, other people.  Two, animal welfare; too many dogs are neglected and/or subject to cruelty
     After 18 months, it hit me there must be some cultural consideration that voids the local laws.  So I wrote to the mayor and CEO and posed the obvious question.
     I didn’t get a response to that question, however, I was told that TSC can’t take a “hard-nosed approach” when enforcing the local laws and I got the usual dog and pony show about TSC being committed to animal management.
     Anyway, I thought TSC response was a load of dogs’ bollocks, but hey, I know when to put my tail between my legs.  So I figured two things; one, the stretch of water north of Queensland negates the operation of, among other things, animal management laws and/or two, TSC had no bite when it came to enforcing the local laws it is funded to enforce.  Either way, it was time to let sleeping dogs lie.
     Fast forward eighteen months.  On 16 April, I was walking my dogs on leashes and two massive dogs attacked my male.  I complained to the CEO. She was tight-jowled.
     Three weeks later I found this dog. 

     His knee was broken and he was walking on his elbow.  His entire under-torso was septic and stank and he was covered in flies.  I contacted police and he was shot later that day.  It turns out people had seen him in that state, in excess of two weeks.  They were reluctant to the dog catcher (not wanting to cause trouble and that sort of stuff). 
     Actually, they could not have contacted the dog catcher if they wanted to because he had left a couple of months earlier after he had a knife pulled on him while he was working on Horn Island, as was confirmed by TSC.
     Then, on 30 May, my dogs were attacked again while on leashes.  I complained to the CEO and finally got an answer, including an answer to my earlier complaint, both feeble.  I’d already contacted the owner of the 30 May attack dog and she agreed to euthanize her dog. 
     As if there is no ending to this surreal dog’s breakfast, on 18 June, my daughter and I, walking our dog, were bailed up first by Dog A, Dog B in pursuit and then by Dog C who was much more aggressive.  I only got him off the scent by throwing my son’s heavy backpack as a very kind knight in Toyota Camry armour pulled up to our rescue.
     I had to call the dog catcher as these were dangerous dogs.  It was Tuesday and I knew the dog catcher worked Tuesday and Thursday.  Hot diggety! 
     Not so.  His work days had changed, Wednesday to Friday. I pleaded with him to catch the dogs. 
     No use.  He didn’t have a vehicle. Big esso, TSC, equipping your staff with the necessary tools of trade.
     I wanted to roll over, but I was prepared to keep chasing my tail, one more time. 
     I called the relevant TSC officer and was so relieved when she said she would contact a council director and get down to the oval.  At least the dogs were shining on me.
     You can’t imagine my dismay when I listened to her subsequent voice message that she’d spoken to the owner of Dog C, who 'very sheepish’ and she’d told him to restrain his dog.  And, here’s the piece de resistance, she did not have the evidence to determine the dogs as dangerous.
     Remember, this was the third attack on me and my animals in two months that I have reported to council!
    The next day.  
Here is the owner (he told me) of Dog C going for a walk the morning after we were bailed up.
"Don't fence me in," crooned Dog C as he went for a solo stroll about 3 pm.
     Later, at 5.30, I saw the owner ambling down to the oval with the three dogs, A, B and C.
     At 6.15 I learned my friend had just been attacked by all three dogs while walking past the oval. She beat at the dogs with her umbrella, breaking it, until some men playing football threw the ball at them and our very same rescuer came driving up in his Toyota Camry to save her.
     My friend doesn’t drive and loves going for long walks each day. Now she is too afraid to walk anywhere.
     But TSC had no evidence following my complaint to declare the dogs 'dangerous dogs' which would have prevented the attack on my friend.  It's the bloody tail wagging the dog. 
     However, Dogs A and B were surrendered to council today although Dog C is at large (in hiding, I bet).  If local laws had been applied years ago, even if they had been applied in March when TSC claim local laws were adopted, hell, even if they were frigging well applied when I complained on 18 June, my friend would never have been attacked on 19 June.  I need a tissue.  The froth keeps coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment