Monday, June 29, 2015

Americans are crazy!

Singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell loses speech after aneurysm, David Crosby says

I read this headline on the ABC website and rolled my eyes.  Honestly, I thought, only the Americans would hold a speech and then, after a speaker suffers an aneurysm and becomes mute, go on to declare the other participant the winner.  Seriously, what is the problem with Americans?  They take things to the limits.  Surely, they should have called off the speech as soon as poor Joni Mitchell grabbed her head and screamed in pain.  But no, whatever was being debated was perceived to be so important that the speech needed to continue.  And such an occurrence would only happen in America. 
     And why, I continued to think in the nanosecond after I read the headline above, would an aged, legendary singer be participating in a speech?  Perhaps she was running for president (it's all on now) and this was a pre-polling debate such as the one Tony Abbott and Kevin Rudd in August, 2013 (the same thing must take place in America). 
     Sonny Bono was a singer-songwriter before he ran for government, Ronald Reagan was an actor before becoming US president and Sarah Palin was a beauty queen before becoming the governor of Alaska and then running for vice-president.  America is truly a fertile land of opportunities and Americans are crazy for calling a speech when a speaker has a near-death experience!  These thoughts ran through my mind before my eyes read the following: 
 
Folk legend Joni Mitchell has lost her ability to speak after suffering a brain aneurysm, fellow artist and former boyfriend David Crosby says.
     Then I realised I have been taking my role as a literacy teacher too seriously.  But I still think Americans are crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment