Saturday, December 20, 2014

The power of prayer

Yesterday I remembered it was the third Saturday of the month and therefore Yungaburra market day.  I felt I was falling into life here, knowing the market days; Malanda markets is the second Saturday and Atherton the first.
     Yungaburra hosts the Tablelands' largest monthly markets.  It was good fortune as it afforded me the last opportunity to buy small gifts for the big day.  Actually, it was my only opportunity since I'd planned to boycott presents being repulsed by the commercial nature of Christmas ... but I relented under pressure from Kibby and Seffy and complaints they will be the only children not to have presents.   
     As I jumped in the shower, eating peanut butter toast, I shouted out to Seffy.
     ‘Pray for a park so we don’t have to walk far.’
     On the drive there I reminded Seffy to say a prayer for a park.
     When we rounded the bend I saw there were many parking spots.  In fact, I had the pick of all the shady parks.  The power of prayer!
     Not only were there so many parking spaces, there was also a vast expanse of grass where the 250 stalls should have been.  As we drove past the servo, I didn’t miss the sign.  
     I haven't yet worked out the lie of the mainland and the pressing need to check dates and times of events that cannot be reached on foot! 

2 comments: