Monday, May 12, 2014

Spoil Mum

Australians were expected to spend $1.4 billion dollars for Mothers’ Day according to IBISWorld (no, not the supermarket on TI gone global) which equates to an average of $61.31 per mum, a huge sum for families on a tight budget, I reckon.  The predicted expenditure is up 2.7% from last year. 
     I am pretty sure I have identified a reason for the increase in expenditure – giving the gift of Exilis which is designed to give smoother and younger looking skin (Google Exilis), a steal at $1000.
     I found this advertisement in a paper. Note the body language of the mum receiving not one, but two Exclusive Offers.  

     Now, I’ve nothing against a bit of cosmetic assistance or even a lot.  In fact, I considered having a bit of work done not long ago when I was heading to Botoxville itself, that is, the Gold Coast.  I was staying with an old friend, who, in the lead up to my visit, fessed up she got Botox regularly. I was shocked. 
     ‘It’s fantastic,’ she said, ‘and cheap.  It costs as much as it does to get your hair done.’
     'Are you kidding? I said.  ‘Count me in.  I want to get some too.’  I imagined myself without the inverted commas in bold 30 font which have developed between my eyebrows.
     It was my friends turn to say, ‘are you kidding?' She has always thought me really square and seized the moment. 'I’ll make an appointment for you with my doctor.’  
     ‘And I can get a bit more done at that price.  What do you think?  I’ll get my eyes done too, would that cost another visit to the hair dresser?’  I was thinking about my dĂ©colletage (which sounds much better than 'sun-damaged bony chest'), but I knew that would be a big job, involving ‘downtime’ and possibly  radiation.
     My friend told me to settle down, that Tony wouldn’t want me spending that much on Botox.  What was she thinking?  Three lures cost the same as a visit to Suzy’s Stylz.
     ‘But you said it costs as much as it costs to get your hair done. That’s not much.’
     ‘Hang on,’ she said, suddenly suspicious, ‘what does it cost you to get your hair done?’
     ‘Suzy does the best trim for $25.’     
     She moaned.  ‘I meant GETTING YOUR HAIR DONE!  A wash and treatment, a half head of foils, a trim and a blow dry.  It costs over two hundred.  Seriously, what planet do you live on?  This is the Gold Coast, not TI.’

     Seriously!  Giving Mum the gift of a non-invasive, skin-tightening treatment that 'has amazing results on the jawline and neck'?
     Spoil Mum or Spoil Mothers’ Day?
'Hey Mum, for Mothers' Day, I've got enough to get you one of those Exilis treatments so you don't look so old."
     If my crew gave me a gift voucher for ‘a little work’ I’d probably burst into tears.
     ‘I thought you loved me even though I have a deficient jawline and neck.’
     I'd be paranoid the kids and Tony were embarrassed about my gravity-affected jowls (known as naso-labial folds) and the cross-hatched skin on my neck.
     Actually, if I had received the voucher for Mothers’ Day, I’d have redeemed it for the cash and bought some hemlock.
     What happened to giving free or cheap traditional gifts such as those few meaningful words with a hug?  Think, a handmade card, even a bought one like M.I.L.K, designed to ensure Mum cried tears of appreciation.  What about a bunch of Roses or a box of chocolates Mum isn’t expected to share?  A family roast?  If we were still on TI, I'd have received the gift of time as Tony would have taken the kids fishing for the day and left me at home.
     I cringe to think that children and dads were under pressure to buy for Mum when expenditure is not necessary. We can appreciate our mums through words and actions.
     I received beautiful gifts from Kibby and Seffy which they bought at their school’s Mothers’ Day fundraiser.  
Precious jewels (I am wearing the third necklace) and blue is my favourite-est colour.
     From the two big girls and the oldest boy I received priceless words in electronic form which brought tears to my eyes.  And from the man of few words, Sutchy, well, it went like this.
     ‘Happy Mothers’ Day Sutchy,’ I said.
     ‘Oh, yeah. Happy Mothers’ Day’.  And when he said goodbye, he added, ‘Love you.’ He was in a garrulous mood, a delightful Mothers’ Day present. 
     And Tony, he made me a cup of coffee for breakfast.  What a darling!
     Those were seven touching gifts and I’m proud my family contributed virtually nothing to the $1.4 billion dollar IBISWorld prediction.  I hope other families saved their bux and showed their appreciation of Mum without breaking the bank … and certainly not suggesting she tighten and brighten her skin!  

No comments:

Post a Comment