Sunday, December 15, 2013

Keeping it real

I can’t believe I quoted Anthony Mundine the other day. I am not a fan of him or his sport.  In fact, I despise boxing.  It’s violent, encourages violence and contributes to injuries.  The only reason I was able to quote Anthony Mundine was because I had read the ABC news.  
     On October 19 last year, I was appalled when Mundine said, of the impending fight with Aboriginal boxer, Daniel Geale, “I thought they wiped all the Aborigines from Tasmania out."
     He went on to say about Geale, "He's got a white woman, he's got white kids. I keep it real, all day every day."
     Had I been present when Mundine spoke those words, I reckon I would have forgotten my pacifist philosophy and flown at him in a homicidal rage.  I could see the headline on the front pages of The Australian, The Guardian and New York Times, Thursday Island housewife puts Mundine in ICU. 
     Instead, I had to settle for cursing Mundine to my computer.  I wish I had known Pepper Zen back then.  She could have helped me moderate my response.
     I became Geale’s biggest fan. I couldn’t wait for the January fight.  I was sending lots of ‘kick his arse’ and TKO wishes Geale’s way.   
     Anyway, Geale won so I was able to maintain my commitment to a non-violent society.
     Back to my story of how I quoted Anthony Mundine.
     On Saturday morning, I text my dear friend, Elia who I have been wanting to have a good yarn with.  The problem is finding a time when we can both clean, cook or wash while we chat on the phone.  When I am ready to multi-task, she is working or dealing with children and vice-versa.  So, I made an attempt on Saturday and text her.
     Are you awake?  I am in the garden with Pepper.
     She replied the next day.  Busy day yesterday.  I was on my way to Toowoomba for a meeting when you were in the garden with your dog.
     Me:  Duck not dog.  And enlightened duck who advises me on all manner of life’s quandaries.  She is not just a pet.  Tony won’t let her in the house which has created some marital disharmony.
     Elia (a Leunig fan):  Your Leunig gene is showing.
     Me:  Yeah, but I keep it real all day every day.  I just quoted Anthony Mundine.  Leunig mucks around with cartoons.
     Elia:  So when does her name become a condiment? Christmas day?
     Me:  Not you too.  Perish the thought.  She has a ten year life expectancy.  I will be a very wise woman in a decade.
     Elia:  Wise as a duck?
     Me:  Ah.  It has a fresh ring to it.  Especially since cats have eaten so many of the native owls.  I like it – Wise as a duck.
     I keep it real, all day every day with my duck.  We have real, quality time together.  We don’t just watch the tele at the same time.  We sit together and commune.  Her advice about life choices from the big stuff (what battles with my boys I should let go) to the little stuff (what I should make for dinner when I don’t want to cook) is real world advice that helps me be the best person I can be.  Well, less ogre/banshee like.  I am less likely to fight with the kids and more likely to make a meal they are prepared to eat … without too much complaining.
     Thanks for the words of wisdom, Anthony.  Consider adopting a duck to help you keep it real, all day every day.  Ducks come in a range of colours.  Motley coloured, mixed-breed ducks are lovely reminders that cross-cultural families are proof that reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people is real and one of the most important social and political goals of this century.  
     Anyway, the colour of a duck is only feather deep. It’s the duck’s wisdom that counts.  And it’s the wisdom that will help us deal with and overcome racial and all other prejudices.  And what I have to make for dinner since Tony didn't bring home the fish he caught on today's charter.
     Quack, quack, quack.

No comments:

Post a Comment