Friday, December 13, 2013

Deer casserole for dinner

Tony, Sutchy and Kibby went bow hunting yesterday, keen to shoot a deer for Christmas.       They were up at half four for an early start.  It was a clear and cool day.  Good signs for a successful trip.  They were sure to get a five-pointer or a pig at the least.
 Tony text me this gorgeous photo of the sunrise.
     At midday, I was a bit concerned as Tony hadn’t responded to a couple of texts I sent.  It’s a mother’s lot in life to worry about her sons, especially when they are carrying lethal weapons and they are moving about a large island (the third largest in Australia, in fact!) when it is very hot and dry. 
     Yes, I know they are with their father, but when I hear of their exploits when diving, fishing and hunting, Tony’s presence gives me little comfort.  Last holidays, Kibby blurted out at dinner that on the most recent hunting trip he was rushed at by a pig.
     "Whaaat!" I said in my calmest voice.
     "Shut up, Kibbim," said Sutchy, shaking his head.  "Now Mum will freak out and stop us going hunting."
What now?
     Eventually I made contact.  They were at cousin John and Lynda’s place on Entrance Island and they were all enjoying a cup of coffee at the bus stop.  
The bus stop is a zar zar, simple shelter on posts, on the beach overlooking POW and TI.
     “Are you all okayt?” I asked, just wanting to make sure everyone was safe.
     “Yes, we’re all okay.”  His tone has the same weary resignation either to my question or to what was coming next.
     “Are the animals of Prince of Wales all okay?”
     “Yes, they’re all okay, too.”  He gave a big sigh, the same one when he breaks the news they didn’t catch so much as a fly.  “There’s the fish from yesterday.  We can have that for dinner.”
     “Well, I rang you to say the meat order, the whole 220kg has arrived and needs to be picked up from Toll at the wharf.”  I couldn’t help, but chuckle.  “I’ll cook up some beef in a casserole and we’ll pretend it’s deer.” 
Heading home, empty handed
At least someone was happy!
Cousin John gives Tony some deer hunting tips for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment