Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ode to the pooches of Thursday Island

While I am eternally frustrated that the Torres Shire Council refuses to enforce local animal management laws to address the problem of roaming, neglected and aggressive dogs, I am, at heart, an optimist. Therefore, I am most grateful for the ongoing opportunities council affords me to explore writing genres to voice my complaints. 
     Email, formal letter, screen play, narrative (check out the anthology from the Tropical Writers' Group) and exposition have all failed to prompt council to administer the laws it is funded to administer.  So I tried poetry.  
     Sadly, I face the risk of exhausting the genres, though Report and Procedure remain.
     Don't fear, I can use art!
     If you missed this poem in Edition 1092 of the Torres News (November 18-24) on page 9, here it is. 

Once upon a time
Once upon a time on an island far away
Torres Shire Council was the ruler of the day
They couldn’t use local laws and tell constituents what to do
So the doggy population grew and grew and grew

Covered in ticks and fleas and mange, found in every second street
Some dogs scavenged scraps while others, well, puppies they had to eat
To the top of the pack these alpha dogs did rise
And runners, walkers and children, they loved to terrorise

Diabetes and obesity are a part of modern life
Exercise would help, but not when aggressive dogs are rife
Council knew yet did bugger all so my advice was that
‘It’s safer to stay home and accept that you’ll be fat’

Subsidised desexing was the answer to woofer woes
Uterus and testicle, snip, snip, the lot, it goes
One thing had to happen before this reason came to pass
Council needed to stop this eternal farce

So you say I should have written a respectful letter
To council who could have made the canine problem better
And residents could have enjoyed this island without fear
Tsk, tsk, that’s just not how things are done around here

Now I must bring my nth complaint to a poetic end
Council will go on ruling, or rather, just pretend
About the dogs they’ll do nothing and I’ll remain appalled
And keep my prayers a going that no child is ever mauled 
This one comes every couple of months when the bitches in Pearl Street are on heat.  Poor thing is attacked by competing males which may explain the broken tail. He has been visiting for some years.

Roaming dogs

3 comments:

  1. I love this poem but just had an obscene thought Pedro........walking that's funnier than me walking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is so very, very sad is the number of bony, tick-covered and mange infested dogs that suffer, particularly the bitches that bear littler after litter of puppies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roaming dogs....and flower pots. Poignant TI moment.

    ReplyDelete