Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Duck Treatment

Years ago when I was full of energy and running around with my little brothers, Dad once told us to settle down.  
     We ignored him and he said, 'I'll give you the duck treatment.'
     'What's the duck treatment?' I asked, hands on hips.
     'I nail one of your feet to the floor.'
     We thought about that.  'But we won't be able to move,' I said.
     'That's the idea.'
     Dad has threatened my children the same thing when they are verging on hyperactivity.  They stop, have a good, hard think and give the same responses, despite the thirty odd year passage of time.
     Now I am experiencing my own duck treatment.  If I move around, Pepper cries.  If I stay still, she 'nails' my foot to the floor and she's quiet and content.  I need to find some way to deal with pins and needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment