Friday, September 6, 2013

Getting worried

It's the election tomorrow and I am in Brisbane for my book launch with Tony.  Kibby and Seffy are in Cairns with my mum.  That's what is worrying me as polling day approaches.  
     Here's why.
     Last week, the kids and I were in the car, waiting at the Stanton Road lights.
     "If Kevin Rudd gets in," said Kibby, "I'm going to New Zealand."
     I bloody well knew where that came from.  Kibby knows his fish, a guppy from a gourami and a giant trevally from a golden trevally, a blue fin tuna from a bonito.  I don't believe for a minute he knows Labor from Liberal. 
     When we got home, I marched into Mum's room where she was reading on her bed. She looked up.
     "Kibby said he's going to New Zealand if Rudd gets in," I said and was about to continue.
     "Yes, he's coming with me," she said, all innocent.
     So now I'm worried because there the possibility that Mum will skip the country with my son.
     Seffy is safe.  She won't go anywhere without Billy the rescue dog. There isn't time for Mum to organise a pet transfer through NZ customs so Seffy is safe.
     I've just seen that Bob Hawke regrets Labor didn't go to the polls sooner, but I can't relax completely.
     I caught up with my brother, Stephen, the day before Tony and I flew out to Brisbane.
     "Make sure you're with the kids all day," I said, "and don't leave them alone with our mother unless Abbott's been declared the winner."   

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kibby
    I heard about your recent plans to skip the country with Boo Boo. I just wanted to let you know New Zealand is kinda cold compared with TI or Cairns. I have lived in cold places. They're OK if you like that sort of thing. But all cold places have one thing in common. You have to wear shoes. Not because your mum says, or school says, but because if you don't your toes get frostbite, turn black and fall off. It's painful, so I've heard. Politicians on the other hand have no concept of the existence of children who don't want to wear shoes. Whichever party wins this election it won't change things much on the basis of shoe-wearing, or on many other levels really. Stay here my little friend, fish, play and continue to enjoy the sand under your feet, the sun atop and your toes fixed firmly in place. And avoid cold places.
    Love
    Aunty Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never make condescending remarks about my children and their shoes. I am in chilly Brisbane and Birkenstocks are not enough for Far North Queenslanders like me. I brought down a pair of Sandler pumps and boots. My closed footwear is stained by my blood, skin has bubbled with blisters and my toenails are bruised. It's unbearably painful, but I can't afford to catch taxis and it's a long way to walk between public transport pickup points. I know how St Francis of Assisi felt walking on his knees as penance.

    ReplyDelete