Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What a difference 31 years makes

I am with Ruby who is the daughter of my friend, Pam.
     When I was 14, Ruby’s age, I, too was happy to frolic in the surf wearing my brand-new strapless, blue Expozay bikini which I had purchased on my parents’ Myers account from Pacific Fair at the Gold Coast.  I was staying with my friend for the Easter holidays and what else to do on the coast than go to the beach and splash in the waves.  I was unconcerned about the ultra-violet radiation frying my Reef Oiled skin. 
     This photo, taken by Pam who was laughing at the extremes of our attire, reminded me of those Easter holidays and my blue bikini.  I had scaled the peak of beach fashion. 
     This photo also reminded me ageing is not so bad.  Age has given me the wisdom to know that total cover-up is the best defence against the sun’s harsh rays (I had just removed my calf-length spandex tights to swim) even if I look like something out of Lawrence of Arabia
     Age has also taught me not to lament the loss of smooth skin, firm breasts and thighs that once remained more or less in the one place and a flat stomach (my current belly has a mind of its own). 
    You see, with the help of strong and durable fabrics that contain elastane like Lycra, all those soft, dimply, wandering bits can be concealed (especially if the fabric is black) and tastefully restrained.  Thank you, Dupont!

No comments:

Post a Comment