Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Tell-Tale Squawk: accessory to murder

Just after Christmas, a pair of myna birds started nesting in the eaves on along the deck.  In their native India, mynas are a symbol for enduring love because they mate for life.  Humans are drawn to love stories, even within the animal kingdom and I’m no exception.
     My bird-spouses found the safest of environments to raise their young after an aged section of cladding had fallen off.  
     Mynas have made the world’s 100 worst invasive species* but I find the chocolate body, charcoal head and sunflower yellow eyes and beak a stunning combination.  However, it was their singing, the melodic smorgasbord of whistles, clicks and light chirps that never failed to lift my spirits at a time when my own love story failed to endure.
     Robert the builder ordered some fibro sheets to repair the damage, but the festive season ensured their arrival was a long time coming.  And I forgot about the impending repairs.
     It wasn't long before the two mynas spent the days flying off and returning with morsels of food for their precious offspring.  What a delight when I heard the most delicate scratching in the ceiling cavity as the tiny birds scampered around.   I was determined to wait until the young had flown away to find their own lovers and happily-ever-after before the cladding was replaced. 
     The other day, I went out in the morning for a few hours and when I returned, the screeching hurt my ears.  A pair of mynas was flying this way and that and crying as if possessed, fragments of pale-coloured food in each of their golden beaks.  Imagine my horror when Robert called from downstairs and announced the noisy birds would be gone soon.
     He’d repaired the cladding.  The parents were frantically trying to find the entry to their home, now smooth, impenetrable fibro.  They cried from the veranda railing, screeched from the roof next door, squawked as they flew to the neighbour’s clothes line to the fence to the bottle brush tree before repeating the route, repeating the screams.  

     Their distress was like a dagger to my heart made worse when the scratching on the other side of the ceiling became louder and more desperate.  I pictured the little beaks wide open, primrose triangles pointing in opposite directions, waiting and crying themselves hoarse.  When weakness consumed them, they managed only hissing. 
     The frantic parents hopped and flew and screeched and the hungry young scratched and hissed hour after hour.  Only when the twilight faded, did mother and father bird seek shelter elsewhere, but the baby birds were invigorated by the darkness.  Their tiny claws scraped on the ceiling, their cries a scratchy hiss that went on and on.
     But they weren’t only in the cavity above the veranda. They were in the kitchen ceiling, the bathroom ceiling, my bedroom, my head.  Their deathly cries filled my sleeping ears. 
     I became the unstable narrator in Edgar Allan Poe’s, The Tell-Tale Heart.  He maintained his sanity even though the heart of a man he killed and dismembered continued to beat and drove him to madness.  Except my own tale was not a piece of short Gothic fiction.  It was a reality.
     I texted my brother and described my grief.  He replied, without empathy, “mynas will set up another nest elsewhere.” 
     Too true.  Mynas crimes are many - they destroy fruit and grain crops, they nest in roofs, ceilings and gutters, they are extremely aggressive to native species, breeding males will protect an nesting area of two acres, they breed easily, are noisy and smell.
     But their worst crime is they dispossess native species of their nests like rosellas and even large birds like kookaburras and galahs.  They can even evict sugar gliders from their hollows which is a death sentence for the marsupials.
     That aside, I wanted to save the tiny birds.  How bad would it be that two extra mynas joined the existing feral population? I bashed at the sheet of Masonite and managed only to dislodge only the sealant in the corner.  Short of finding something like a jigsaw to carve a hole in the ceiling of my deck, I could only cover my ears.  Except their screeching persisted in my head.
     I paced the house.
     “Mum, they’re pests,” said Sutchy. "Don't worry about them."
     I thought of trapping the parents and wringing their necks, but they are extremely intelligent and suspicious creatures and avoided even my pitiful gaze.
     The next morning I thought the ruckus in my head had pushed me into insanity. But when I stumbled out to the deck, the mother and father myna were flying around frantically, their babies chirping and hissing louder than before.

     I left for the Salvos, certain the midday sun on the tin roof would finally end my distress. Then the parents could establish a new nest and hopefully, despite their loss, their love would endure and they'd lay a more successful clutch of pale blue eggs.
     *IUCN Species Survival Commission, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment