Friday, April 18, 2014

More art from Baralaba

At Hinemoa I mentioned to Gail I had, long ago when my kids were wee ones, been an artist.  She mentioned the art group was meeting the next day in Baralaba at the Landcare building and would I like to go?
     God, yeah!  I had brought with me a giant tin box of Derwent coloured pencils plus a sketch pad and my Huggies plastic bum-wipe-holder (from Sutchy’s babyhood) full of lead pencils, charcoal and a kneadable eraser.  I always carry the sketch pad and bum-wipe-holder in my bag, like a security blanket.  I haven’t used them for yonks, but there is something comforting about having them near as if to remind myself I have, rather had, an identity separate from my present mother/housewife/confused worker. 
     I imagine it is the same for a past musician carrying a guitar, a retired photographer a camera and a former writer a notepad.  For writing notes, plots or ideas, I use serviettes, the backs of receipts and paper scraps for I am not quite ready to call myself a writer.    
     So Gail and I, with my tools of trade, jumped in the old Subaru and headed the 35 km into town.  The crew were already there.
     I was blown away by the talent.  Framed works adorned the walls of the Landcare building.  Many were pastel, my favourite medium.
     Auda Maclean’s work was a standout and I stood, studying her strokes, the dark-light shadow and the vibrant colour for which pastel is famous.
 Auda is completing her entry in the country characters competition in May.
Gail and Val and Ray Becker


Pam Shipman working in pastel.

Elinor Wright (back), Leonie Trail and her daughter, Camille.
     Like me, Leonie hadn’t drawn for a while and started a Broome sunset in pastel.  It was gorgeous and I made a mental note - visit Broome to see a sunset.  It reminded me of the Back Beach sunsets I have painted many times.  
     I spent a bit of time yarning with local Ray Becker who was working on a painting of poppies.   Finally, my bum-wipe-holder was opened and even the coloured pencils, after a struggle with the packing tape that bound lid and box together.  And I even got time to start this, frequently cursing the coloured pencils that are not as creamy as pastels nor easy to use. 
The house at Hinemoa (I haven't mastered Clip Art hence the great white space)
     Over the next few days I knocked up this. 
Grandpa, Daisy and Womby (pencil sketch)
     I reckon I have rekindled my drawing-painting flame.  And I have made a point of not taping up my giant tin of Derwent coloured pencils, so determined to master this difficult medium.

3 comments:

  1. Cate I love both "pictures"...looks like art for you must be like riding a bike for the rest of us ....you still have your "mojo" in my humble opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lindee. I really enjoy drawing/painting, but the most important thing for me is that people like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope you keep creating beautiful art and writing too much talent not too I adore your work :)

    ReplyDelete