Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wanted: House to rent

When we left TI, the plan was to stay with my mum, Bubu.  This meant we could save on rent. I could do the odd bit of supply teaching and finish the sequel to My Island Homicide.
     However, after a month Bubu said to me, ‘Darling, I think you need to be as a family, in your own home, without me there.’
     The fact is, the kids and I including the dog and duck, have stressed out poor Bubu. We needed to find somewhere else to live.
     I had three criteria for a house; within riding distance of the school, three bedrooms and cheap.  The state of the dwelling wasn’t relevant (as long as it was fairly waterproof).  Where else to start looking, but realestate.com?   The reality of realty hit early on. 
     Firstly, renting wasn’t going to be cheap. 
     Secondly, we needed to buy new household stuff.  To ensure I didn’t return to TI this third time I’ve attempted leaving, Tony sold or gave away everything.  There are no plates and cutlery, no linen, no white goods, no furniture and not even a bristly WELCOME mat at the front door.
     Thirdly, because the rental market has strengthened over the past 12 months according to media reports, demand is outstripping supply. 
     I found a house that met two and a half of the three criteria (not cheap, but reasonable).  Seffy loved it; there was a room of her own and the yard was fenced for the dog she longs for. 
     ‘When’s Dad coming down,’ asked Kibby, again.  He’ll be happy anywhere as long as he’s with Tony. 
     I completed the online application form.  The wonder of computers never ceases to amaze me.
     However, I learned applying for a rental property is more time consuming than applying for a home loan.  Late into the night, I tapped at the keyboard, disclosing my present employment and income, past employment and income, why my employment had changed, whether I had had any black marks against my rental history (didn’t have a rental history), whether I was interested in buying a property in the next 12 and 24 months. I listed my children and their ages, two vehicles, their make and models and two dogs including breeds.  I provided personal and professional referees and explained why I left my previous dwelling!  Oh, there were more questions and ID to provide.  I tried leaving some fields blank to expedite the painful process, but I couldn’t progress to the next page. 
     Exhausted, I crawled into bed, satisfied we were on our way to securing a shelter.
     To my complete horror, the next day I received an email from the agent saying, Thank you for your interest in 123 Tribute Street.  Unfortunately, we’ve never been able to access application data from that website.  Please complete the attached form and return it to us.  Kind regards.
     The wonder of computers!  I calmed down by reassuring myself that my we’d find a house, sooner or later and did some positive self-talk.  Tony and I are very lucky.  We own a home on TI, it is rented out.  In Cairns we have family to stay with.  We have skills and will find work.  We have choices. We won’t ever be homeless or hungry.  I shouldn’t complain about spending more time on the rental application.
     As I typed, my sympathy then turned to the many people who are looking for homes to rent, to those who might not have skills or jobs, those who move from house to house, staying with family and friends, to those children whose education is affected by residential transience, to those people who will struggle to pay the few hundred dollars a week they need for rent and those who will never be able to save the deposit to buy their own home in Cairns for the median house price of $367, 000 (source APM).
     A month ago, I was walking on dusk through the neighbouring suburbs and started chatting to a couple in the front yard of their rented property.  They were soon leaving Cairns in search of work in the construction industry which has hit a slump in FNQ, apparently, made worse by the intrusion of contractors from south-east Queensland, also desperate for building work.  They could not afford the weekly rent of $380 on their income-support payments.  They had three children.  They were struggling.  It showed on their faces lined with worry and in their trembling fingers that held rollies.
     ‘But we’re being positive,’ said the woman as she forced a smile.  ‘We’ve got to be.’
     According to several reports in the media, confidence has returned to the Cairns property market and this will mean higher property prices and higher rents.  That’s positive for investors. 
     When I start to worry about finding a place and giving Bubu her space sooner rather than later, I think of that woman and wonder where the family is.  And I am positive we’ll soon find a house to rent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment