Monday, December 2, 2013

Sunset

30 November, Saturday sunset from Main Wharf.  
Tony and the boys were fishing and he snapped a great photo.  As soon as I laid eyes on it, I had an urge to paint it.  After all, my bread and butter used to be Back Beach sunsets.  I know each of those 17 posts intimately.
     So I was keen to try a sunset from the front of the island.
     Unfortunately, after some years of not painting my water colour paints became dehydrated, the pastels were packed up and the pastel paper, well, God knows where that ended up.
     That left only one medium, apart from charcoal which never did a tropical sunset justice. Coloured pencils were it.  74 Derwent Artists' Pencils.  
     Drawing or painting as the purists refer to it, was difficult.  The pencils were unforgiving (pastel is creamy and can be smoothed by the fingers), they don't layer and can't be removed once applied.    
     But I had a hell of a lot of fun over four hours.  
     Can't wait to try a portrait.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see your art work again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fancy having your portrait done. Or one of your pups. Need to practice. Let me know. Can do from life or photo. Photo preferred for accuracy.

    ReplyDelete