Monday, December 28, 2015

When riding a bike is not like riding a bike!

If tackling a task for the first time in many years like driving a manual car, swimming freestyle and solving a Rubik’s cube are all like riding a bike, then what is riding a bike after a long time? 
     With TK in NZ and the little ones with big sister in Newcastle, there was just Sutchy and me for ten days.  When my brother, Stephen arrived I suggested we train for a ride to Mareeba along the Rail Trail, a round trip of 70 kilometres. 
     I convinced them to do a reccy ride to Rocky Creek the following day.  I was feeling fantastic having just kicked the flu after three days in bed.
     They were in. 
     The Atherton Rail Trail is a compact dirt track restored following the removal of the railway line between Atherton and Mareeba in the 1980s.  I’d ridden to Tolga before and knew the track was in good nick.  The 26 km round trip to Rocky Creek, past blueberry and potato crops, along the irrigation channel and through the bush would be a great start to Sutchy’s and my  holiday.  He had held the fort while I was sick – mediating the little ones’ fights, doing the housework and walking the dogs.  I wanted to spend some quality time with him doing what he loved.  
     That I hadn’t ridden for 12 months and that I had just battled the flu were minor concerns.  I knew endorphins would kick in and get me there and back.   
     Riding a bike is like riding a bike.
     We left at 8.45 in perfect conditions.  The baby blue sky and gentle tail wind heralded a perfect day.  We reached Rocky Creek in 28 minutes.
     “Let’s ride to Walkamin,” I said after a drink.  
     The endorphins were coursing and even if I was bike-unfit, the worst I could expect tomorrow was pleasantly aching quads and palm muscles and perhaps a tightness across my shoulders.  Stephen and Sutchy expressed some concerns about my health, but I was having none of it.
     I whipped out my phone and Googled the distance, six ks, to support my argument for another reccy for our Mareeba trip.  
     "I feel fantastic.”
     “Mum, you won’t when it’s over.”
     “Okay,” said Stephen in a flat voice.
     A reccy is a good thing providing it’s not done on the back of another reccy.
     Soon after leaving Rocky Creek, we encountered a minor obstacle; the track to Walkamin was sand.  An internet search that night revealed the track from Rocky Creek is due for upgrade! 
Relaxing under the Rocky Creek bridge
A potato crop out of Rocky Creek.
Crossing the irrigation channel
      An hour after leaving Rocky Creek, we made it to Walkamin, a quaint little community with a population of 630, a corner store, a school, a caravan park, public toilets and tennis courts. 
Perfect climate
     I recalled talk in the mid-nineties Walkamin came out tops in research about perfect world climates.  It’s a lofty claim since it was damn hot and dry and the “fact” hadn’t seemed to attract more residents in two decades. 
Walkamin public toilet signs. Tee hee!
    
      I was keen to leave.  The endorphins had run out and so had the food.
     “It’s all uphill and into the wind,” said Stephen, again with a flat voice. 
     Then I remembered a few real facts. 
·              The irrigation channel we crossed after Rocky Creek irrigates farmland between Tolga and Dimbulah.  
          Water flows downhill.  We were downhill of Tolga therefore ...
          We had a tail wind on the ride to Walkamin therefore …
     Wind speeds increase during the day therefore ...
     The temperature increases towards midday therefore ...
     And riding a bike is not like riding a bike.  I’d forgotten about the curse of the bike seat for females who haven’t ridden long distances for a long time.  The sand, head wind, heat and the laborious climb were nothing compared to the sensation of having a Brazilian done slowly with a cheese grater. 
     I couldn't maintain motion and kept stalling. Repositioning myself on the seat was agony.
     I got within 1.5 km of home, a mammoth 36.5 kms and stopped.  Stephen had to ride home and return with his ute.  The round trip took four and a half hours.
     I needed another three days in bed.  The Atherton-Mareeba trip was off.
     Riding a bike is not like riding a bike. 

3 comments:

  1. OM Goodness I must admit I had a good laugh Happy New Year to you and yours XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed too - the Brazilian with a cheese grater is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can enjoy the new year now my groin has recovered! HNY to you both!

    ReplyDelete