Thursday, July 10, 2014

Forest bathing

The other day my friend Pam sent me a link to an article about forest bathing.
     She knew it would set loose a bee in my bonnet. I get frustrated by unfounded claims that good health can be achieved through super foods (goji berries, acai, quinoa), the occult, ancient wisdom, protein shakes as substitutes for meals or any exercise machine promoted on informercials.  I thought I'd seen and read it all.  Forest bathing topped the lot.
     And before I knew it I had shot off a comment. 
I am happy to consider all practices that foster mental and physical health, but for most people suffering from the effects of stress ... taking a full of half day walk in the forest would be a luxury considering they need to drive for a while to get there.  Walking through your local park for the same time would likely produce the same results ... Anyone who can walk a half or full day has a good level of fitness, committment to health and probably makes a whole lot of good choices ... But I guess articles that promote common sense through easily achievable and cheap means are too pedestrian these days and people want to hear about ancient forest wisdom, advice from first peoples and magic properties that can solve all our first world woes!

My favourite comment by Kalea:
I was relieved to know that going nude is not required.

Pam text later she was taking the kids for a bush bath. 

Then she text:  How's the serenity?
My reply text:
   But does it make for a more harmonious home with less carrying on between kids?


Pam's reply:
The downside of bush bathing.  With a less harmonious bush and more carrying on ....

     I am guessing that bottle behind the patient was put to good use after the Dettol bath!

2 comments:

  1. Ah ha! A new business idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. A bottle of chardonnay every time the Band-Aids have to come out!

    ReplyDelete