Thursday, October 24, 2013

Free Fast Fantastic

I landed a bonza bout of tonsilitis on my return to TI last week.  No worries, I thought, I’ll sit this one out rather than see a doctor.  After all, waiting and resting proved successful when I had a tubercular cough back in July (Spitting Something).
     By day two, the tonsilitis situation was grim.  In my delerium, I was certain an executioner began the job of beheading me then, halfway through, decided to take a long smoko.  Sadly, pain relief provided no relief at all.  And a fiery fever was raging.
     If I was in Cairns, I would have balked at paying $70 for a consultation ($60 for a concession card holder), complained at forking out $20 to $30 for a script of penicillin and refused point blank to drive 25 minutes to the nearest bulk-billing medical centre.  That would have involved waiting for hours and hours while I slowly died.  If I survived the experience, I would have paid $8 for some Aspro and almost double for Panadeine Forte (though I would have needed a script for that so back to square one).
     But guess what? I wasn’t in Cairns.  I was on TI.  Home to free and fast medical consultations and prescription dispensing.  And I didn’t even need an appointment.
     On Monday I shuffled into the Primary Health Centre on Tony’s arm, just on nine.  If he hadn’t been holding me up, I would have collapsed such was my agony.  No, I am not exaggerating nor am I prone to hypochondria or histrionic rants. 
     I waited less than ten minutes to see Aunty Margo in the treatment room.  No sooner had I settled down to wait for the emergency doctor was my name called.  Dr Irene handed me scripts for penicillin, aspirin and Panadeine Forte. 
     She tapped at the keyboard and asked, “Do you know you are overdue for your pap smear?”
     I explained that I had one recently in Cairns and she updated the computer.
     “Wow,” I said, “that’s something else being able to check up on what’s overdue.”
     It was a new computer system that links records at the PHC and the hospital.  How cool is that? 
     I managed a weak thank you and attempted a smile of gratitude as I shuffled out, supported by Tony.  I was one happy customer, though I didn’t look it.
     I gave my purse to Tony so he could pay for the aspirin and Panadeine Forte.  He returned with the  three medicines saying they were all free.
     Can you believe it?  In Cairns, the same doctor’s visit and pharmaceuticals would have set me back about $110.
     Free.  Fast. Fantastic.

     Oh, and while I am on my soap box, two weeks ago, I was reminded that our young fella needed to see the ophthalmologist.  My mind took some time to process that information as his eyes were fine as far as I knew.  Yes, a year ago, a routine eye check by Eye-Dentity at Kibby’s school detected a potential problem.  We were referred to the ophthalmologist at the hospital the next day and didn’t even have time for a chat before the consultation.  All good, all free and he was put on the list for a follow-up a year later.  Tony took Kibby down last week.  They were down and back within half an hour (that included walking time).  And the good news; Kib’s eyes are good and we didn’t pay a cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment